It's been a pretty good year. Let's recap:
- It started off with me getting my own art studio right down the street. It was pretty rad having two separate places to go to to produce artwork. Also, I felt like a big time "land owner" on Capitol Hill (probably the coolest neighborhood in Seattle). So that was nice. I was temporarily rich from having done two Marvel shorts, and two Nickelodeon shorts, as well. So I thoroughly lived it up.
- During the STUDIO TIME I also had my first "real" solo art show downtown at the amazing BAUHAUS coffee shop. Not just a coffee shop, it's one of the classiest spaces in the city. I must say, my work looked rad up inz.
- Producing the paintings for the show, I also put my new Macbook Pro laptop to good use, creating footage of me making paintings in real time. Also random coverage of comic conventions, and trailers for my online comic Seedless. FUN STUFF! http://www.youtube.com/user/reyyyyy
- I also spent much of this year getting much better at guitar. Again, putting my laptop to use, I recorded various songs. They don't really reflect my "much betterness" at guitar, but I still like em: http://reyyy.com/dinosongs/
***hm the flash player i used for the songs appears to be broken??? mebbe ill fix later. anyway you get the point
- As mentioned before, I did two shorts for both Marvel and Nickelodeon. I think those qualify as late 2009 endeavors, but they were rad regardless. Unfortunately, the cancelling of Nickelodeon Magazine means you'll probably never see the Avatar shorts I did ;;;____;;; but it was GREAT getting into the world of Avatar, and discovering that wellspring of inspiration. As for being a part of MARVEL-- well, it's the little kid dream I always hoped it was. The diehard fans aint necessarily ready for my MANGA style yet-- but it was rad drawing some of the young X-Men characters in a Ranma 1/2 style ;]
- My first creator-owned published project in years hit the stands-- SEEDLESS. Not only that, it's my first full-color printed work, and first project with Image comics. It was great to collect the story, and I've heard positive feedback from it. As far as I care, It's the finest comic about sentient grape warriors from another planet out there. http://www.amazon.com/Seedless-OGN-Corey-Lewis/dp/1607063018/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1293749634&sr=8-2
- Also did my first self-published comic in a while-- LAYERED JACKET
-- which was also met with positive reviews. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p39bu9-Rtes
I was able to milk the studio for all it was worth. Staying there for extended periods. I absorbed the entire LOST series while working there. It was also a great launch point for get togethers, parties, festivals, etc. What a great night it was when Jfish and his entire crew rolled in, and Abe's crazy dog bit me, shedding BLOOD. Rad.
Oh, also, having Brandon Graham, Moritat and Barnaby Ward hang out there was good timez. The bottle Brandon pissed in is probably still there somewhere.
Bottle pissing was the only resort, as there was no real bathroom. I became a master of dickfucking gatorade bottles.
I'll never forget the sun drenched day the Capitol Hill Block Party (with MGMT, Dead Weather, etc) occured mere blocks from my studio. My friend Abe and I got appropriately crunk at the studio, and returned often for refills amongst the festivious enjoyment. Kings of the worlds, we are.
I'd walk home in the dank hours of the morning night with a feeling of pride-- I said to myself "besides a graphics tablet-- this is the finest extreneous art purchase I've ever made", in regard to the studio. it WAS truly grand.
Halfway through the year though, a change occurred.
I could no longer afford the studio, so had to give it up. It's all good though, coz like clockwork, I miraculously attained a job as a SERVER at a Thai restaurant. In this economy, in this city, that is a miracle stroke.
Also, the winter hit, and I no longer desired to BE at a cold, underground studio to produce artwork. So I'm fine being in my warm home for this season of art production.
Also, not having to pay two rents, while also making money upon money, is quite helpful.
Many adventures hath occurred. I can't remember them all. Many new people met. Again, can't remember them all.
Also, a semi-return to the COMIC CON CIRCUIT for me. I'm still baffled by people who "career con" (meaning, people who like never miss one ever). I'm of the thought that an appearance at a convention is like a theatrical endeavor. and I like to scarcify myself by not being at all of them. BUT, as I hadn't had any new material out for a while, I missed a couple years of like ALL the cons. I hardly even "got" how to do it anymore. But attending these two conventions, was like putting on a comfy old pair of shoes.
Emerald City Comic Con (here in seattle) was amazing. Layered Jacket debuted there.
And the Penny Arcade Expo (also here in seattle) was equally amazing. I had copies of Seedless & Layered Jacket. Adam from Attract Mode had GORGEOUS prints of my Street Fighter and Darkstalkers tribute pictures, that sold reasonably. I also sat next to Anamanaguchi for the whole weekend, skirting the fact that I'm their sugar daddy's bastard child. Anyway, I went to a party at their hotel room, good tiemz.
POSSIBLY THE BEST THING ABOUT THIS YEAR IS: I GOT REALLY SERIOUS ABOUT COMICS (AND LIFE) IN GENERAL, AND FINISHING THAT ONE BOOK THATS TAKEN FOREVER. YEARS GO BY FAST, DONT THEY?
But now I'm 95% done with Sharknife 2. This last 5% is no breeze, either. But damn, shit is real.
- LA ROUX!
- Getting way into Lady Gaga
- JAGUAR LOVE! (hologram jams)
- MAD RAD (is mad decent-- though kinda douchey)
- New Gorillaz (plastic beach) was amazing. What's with the NEW new album? Just some B-sides Alburn decided to label as "gorillaz"? be serious!
- RADITUDE being the best Weezer album since Pinkerton.
- TRON soundtrack (specifically "DEREZZED") conjuring inspiration within me 50x superior than the actual TRON movie.
- SOCIAL NETWORK soundtrack
- Blue Scholars still tearing it up. Represent B-town / Seattle / Pinoy Pride brahs
*** Note, these lists are in context to when *I* played them, not when the game came out****
- Batman Arkham Asylum-- finally played this. Totally blown away.
- DEAD SPACE -- what a fine game.
- WORMS -- it's all my and my bros play when we wanna bro down
- VANQUISH -- best game featuring endless powerslides and time-slowing ever
- LIMBO - what a quaint and challenging game. beat it at my friend's house
- my pals comics slaying ass: king city, scott p & orc stain primarily. kicking me clear in the balls, informing me to CATCH UP.
a lot of fun movies have come out this year, and there's a couple i still really want to see (the fighter, black swan). there were also a couple highly touted that get a "meh" from me (tron, true grit)
- However, the finest, most unexpectedly RAD & INSPIRING film of 2010 was:
1 2 7 H O U R S
**** STILL HAVENT SEEN SCOTT PILGRIM. WAITING FOR MY FREE DVD ;D
*j/k i'll prolly redbox it soon. IT'S JUST... DUNNO IF IM READY
As far as further random stuff: got my site optimized with wordpress. Twittering has been fun. Started a FB fan page, nice. Started two tumblrs, the latter of which has been vastly more successful / fun and featuring the return of the Skeletal Scarf Ninja Clan.
That's pretty much it. Good, full year. Started as a wealthy land-owning art lord. Currently working a peaceful zen-like grind, making the $$$ and finishing projects. Geared up to start the NEW shit once this shit is done. Confident I'm going to F U C K some shit up.
Thanks 2010, you were guud.